Whiplash- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

Whiplash

Whiplash literally means lash of a whip. It’s the injury of the head and the neck that is caused by a sudden shock movement. With most people it feels like a lash of a whip in the neck.

Causes of whiplash

The most frequent cause of whiplash is a rear-end collision because of the crash first the head is fiercely thrown back and when the collided car comes to a halt the head is propelled forward again. The force of the crash may damage the ligaments tendons and muscles in the first 24 hours.

Symptoms of Whiplash

  • After the injury symptoms like
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Pain in neck and shoulder
  • Tingling in arms and hands

In a later stage symptoms may spread to fatigue, amnesia, poor concentration, ringing in the ears, blurred vision / sensitiveness to light, neck pains and a heaviness in the arms and shoulders.

Symptoms after a year 95% is without complaints after about a year the other 5% remained to have chronic complaints that can differ enormously per patients.

Treatments

Consult a physician directly after the accidents who will take x-rays of the heads and neck area depending on the accidents. Painkillers and low key exercises are advised if there are no serious abnormalities visible on the x-rays. A whiplash is like a dislocation or a strain. That’s why further damage of the tissue should be avoided as much as possible. Good neck supports like a rolled-up towel is very important. Cooling with an ice compress can reduce the swelling hematoma or muscle spasms that occur after 48 hours.

Alternate this treatment with a warm compress a few times a day to relieve the pain. If after a week the complaints persist go back to your physician who can refer you to a physiotherapist because the complaints that occur with a whiplash differ per patients there is no standard treatments.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *